SSM's Horse Sculptures

There are two horse statues in the gardens of Sakıp Sabancı Museum. The onejust in front of the mansion, called Horse was made by Louis Doumas in Paris in 1864. In Istanbul, it was first installed in Abraham Pasha’s farm on the hills beyond Büyükdere, then moved to the garden of Mahmut Muhtar Pasha’s ‘Marble Mansion’ at Moda. Hacı Ömer Sabancı bought the statue during the Marble Mansion’s sale, and had it installed in the garden of the mansion at Emirgan, thus causing it to be called ‘The Mansion with the Horse’ ever since.

The other horse sculpture which stands at the main entrance to the gardens is the cast of one of the four bronze horses taken from Hippodrome (present day Sultanahmet Square) in Istanbul when it was looted by Crusaders in 1204 and removed to the Basilica of San Marco in Venice. It is a replica of the sculpture Hacı Ömer Sabancı saw and admired in the garden of the steam boiler factory owner Mario Penzotti’s house at Legnano near Milan, while he was touring Europe in search of machinery for the Bossa factory. It was installed in the Mansion’s front garden in 1957.